Friday, December 2, 2011

Our Advent Calendar 2011: It Shimmers and Shines

Ok, there are a lot of pictures in this post, I know. However, I also have to say that I really love this year's Advent calendar, like A LOT. I had the hardest time taking pictures of it because it's in a dark corner of our living room (on our ugly 1960's green marble fireplace) and it shimmers and shines only when my ribbon votives are lit. Throw in the typical German weather for this time of year -overcast- and it's a recipe for photography disaster. So basically there are pictures because I love this year's calendar AND because I'm amazed I was able to get what I could with my little point-and-shoot!

I made this calendar for my husband (he fills a red felt calendar for me) and he was ecstatic; he loves it! He loves wildlife, so when I saw the forest animal free Advent printables from Raumdinge (I think she got the graphics from The Graphics Fairy), I knew I had to use this for him.
You may notice some similarities to our godson's calendar. The white bags were just too easy and since I had so many left over, it made sense to use them up. They're just little white sandwich bags; I think I paid 75 cents for 75 bags. The little chalkboard clips were found at our local drugstore (go figure) and I used my tailor's chalk to write the numbers. The fabric strips were cut and recycled from his Advent calendar last year. The shimmery paper is my favorite part though; I used a paper punch to cut these from some glitter wrapping paper I found last week. I bought the paper here thinking it was printed foil, but no, it was real glitter! Needless to say the floor in my office shimmers now...good thing I have a vacuum cleaner!
The funny thing is that I didn't plan on adding the glitter paper, or using the ribbon votives, but once I started laying things out, I realized I needed shimmer and shine -and I had the wrapping paper! and then as I set it up in the living room I realized it was really dark -but the little votives would add light and nicely reflect off the glitter.

The other trick I had to employ was creating elevation. We didn't have a place to string these up (that would be so cute!) and since laying them flat on the mantle would look lame, I used plain brown post paper to wrap some empty cardboard tissue and food containers.
Basically, I had a lot of fun putting this together and both of us are really pleased with how it turned out. It makes for quite a cozy little corner!

Anybody else make an Advent calendar this year? I think they're so fun! If you've posted pictures online, share the link in the comments so we can all enjoy!

8 comments :

Katie @ makingthishome.com said...

These are super cute, Juliette! I want to open them or watch you guys open them. :)

Raumdinge said...

Hallo Juliette,

sieht wunderschön aus, diese Kombination! Ich wünsche ganz viel Freude beim Auspacken!

Herzliche Adventsgrüße, Valentina

Allison said...

O.K., even though I've been living in Germany now for five years now, it seems that I can never be on top of thing enough to prepare 24 little gifts before Christmas and do presents for Christmas too. My highest respect goes out to those who do... so much pre-planning it makes my head spin. But, I guess I have to get with it... little guy will start figuring out things soon.

Oh, yeah... these turned out really great! And who says you have to vacuum the glitter up from your office floor? I personally like a little sparkly, glittery chaos added to my work room ; )

Kelly said...

The chalkboard clips totally "make" it for me -- love the way you pulled this together and made it uniquely you. And major points to your husband for having an advent calendar for you!

Monica said...

I love this! The bags (they are so versatile), the animals, the ribbon...
Sam has a store bought Advent calendar (hanging blogger head in shame). I made one a few years ago and it drove me nuts figuring out 24 little presents. Next year...

Juliette said...

Thanks for the praises everybody! I feel like I should post a disclaimer though: the contents are chocolates and Bible verses. Super simple, but that's how we roll w/Advent calendars. I think I would go nuts trying to find 24 little present ideas for an adult! =P

likeschocolate said...

I love love your advent bags! I love the shape of your votives too! Wishing you a Froeh Weinachten!

Wibke said...

oh! your advent calender is so gorgeous! how sweet all the animals are...
liebst,
wibke

Related Posts with Thumbnails