Friday, January 17, 2014

Read: A Town Like Alice

A book that is as much about economic development as it is about war and romance is something of a novelty. That it was a page-turner was an added bonus. I recently read Nevile Shute's 'A Town Like Alice' for my book club and found myself pleasantly surprised. The social and economic development aspect of the story is pretty significant and, aside from any Barbara Kingsolver books, a topic that's not typically found in my usual fiction reading.

As I read through the fairly long book I found myself thinking that the epic nature of the story would really lend itself nicely to a miniseries. An internet search quickly informed me that Australian television had indeed made it into a miniseries back in the 1980's (and you can watch it all online here). Though some of the story was significantly changed -and here I have to interrupt wondering as to WHY must this happen? Especially with a miniseries where they have more time than the average movie length?! I digress...
In any case, I realized I had to do a post on the book/miniseries simply because they had the most darling curtains in the film. Yes, really. See the blue polka dots up there? I love it! Perhaps it's a large dotted swiss? Maybe just a regular decorator's fabric? I don't know, but I love it. I also love those three birds on the wall, which remind me of these pretty porcelain birds you can find over in Dunja's shop.

The story takes place in the jungles of Malaysia, downtown London, and in the rural Australian Outback. It really is epic in the true sense of the word. More bonus points in the film version for the lovely 1950's costumes and the stockman's standards: hat and duster (J.Peterman anybody?).

What about you? Read anything good lately? I'm currently wading through a German history book that is less fun than was promised, but I'm determined to get through it! What should be my reward for getting through it?


4 comments :

Travel Truth 101 said...

One of my all-time favourite books, written well before I was born.

I remember reading it as a young teenager (I think it was actually a school syllabus reading book), and seeing the mini-series - two actors at their gorgeous prime!

It paints such a vivid picture of Australia - very handy for this Aussie to remember on such a cold, grey, German day.

Thanks for writing about it, it prompts me to pick up the book again.

Travel Truth 101 said...

One of my all-time favourite books, written well before I was born.

I remember reading it as a young teenager (I think it was actually a school syllabus reading book), and seeing the mini-series - two actors at their gorgeous prime!

It paints such a vivid picture of Australia - very handy for this Aussie to remember on such a cold, grey, German day.

Thanks for writing about it, it prompts me to pick up the book again.

Carolyn said...

Glad you're back! Your blog looks great.

Juliette said...

@TravelTruth: Yes, read it again!

@Carolyn: Hooray, you're still here! Am I inspiring you to dust off your own blog? ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails