Monday, April 30, 2012

Modern Lines in Old Times: Stairwells

Night and day. That pretty much sums up the difference between the old location and the new location of one of the university departments I work with. The old location was in a concrete nightmare from the 1970's built on the edge of civilization; some place you could see in a horror movie, complete with flickering, wan, yellow lighting, dark passages and mad scientists. I actually carried a flashlight during winter visits and often walked with my keys between my fingers. I never felt safe there.

The new location is centrally located, well lit, and -dare I say- beautiful. The building is at least a century old, if not more, and has lots of lovely architectural details. The stairwell is my favorite place. The patterns in the balusters are simple, classic, and oooold. Yet I could easily see this being recreated in a modern home or building. I love the gleaming, worn wood and fresh white paint that glows thanks to all the natural light pouring in through the windows. From the windows you can watch children play outside happily at a neighboring day care facility (kita). Germany's oldest gothic church is nearby and its bells peal as class starts. SUCH a pleasant change!


2 comments :

likeschocolate said...

Beautiful! Love all the detail!

Mareike said...

Jaja, Marburg is beautiful - I love the old hidden treasures as well.

Related Posts with Thumbnails