Thursday, March 22, 2012

A Stitch in...?

I'm working on something and it's taking longer than anticipated. Still, I'm into it and I look forward to sharing it when I'm a little further...or finished. I had the opportunity to craft with some women from my church the other night and, given the supplies, it was fun coming up with something of my own. I kind of like forcing myself to make something with just what's on hand. I had brought a bag of bits and bobs and combined that with what was there waiting for me. Sometimes I feel like I have too many options at home...or I'm overwhelmed (underwhelmed?) by the same-old same-old that's in my supply closet. The same thing happens with my clothing wardrobe, but that's another story for another time. This is why it's fun for me to craft with others, to push me out of my box (of supplies).
Group crafting can be a challenge, you know? How do you pick a project that everybody will like? How can you account for different budgets, different available amounts of time, different styles, abilities, and levels of creativity? You could say, "bring your own project (BYOP)", but what about the people who WANT to be creative, but just feel like they don't know HOW? or that they're not 'creative enough'? A BYOP type of gathering seems exclusive to them. Shoot, I can feel that way just looking at other blogs from the comfort of my home, but what if I were in a room with them all? (oh wait, I'm going to a blogger conference, ha...) Seriously though, this is something I think about from time to time. How to encourage and enable others in their creativity? Deep thoughts, I know.

Most of you are rather creatively oriented, so what are your thoughts on this? It's pretty open-ended, I'll admit, but I'm kinda in the mood for a chat.

5 comments :

Allison said...

I have one creative friend that I get together with from time to time. I always feel like where I run into a "creative wall", she comes along with an idea that might spark another, and then my creativity is more free flowing.

And as far as picking a project for a group that everybody likes, it's good to remember the good advice that you can't please all the people all of the time.

There is an American crafting group that meets from time to time here in Hamburg. I've really been wanting to go for some time, but just haven't found the time with the little guy. Sigh... maybe one day. But with all that being said, I still say that you guys would love living up North (hint, hint, wink, wink)

Juliette said...

Allison I think I would like it up there too! Hamburg is so pretty, and I think I know somebody there... ;-)

Yeah, I know you can't please everybody. I guess I'm thinking about ideas that would be easily customizable to various aesthetics, yet also budget friendly and interesting to beginners and those who can take creative initiative -see? I want it ALL! =D

Kelly said...

I'm really intrigued by this red stitching. I've been to a few classes where it was split down the middle -- about half the class was making the assigned project and the other half came with their own projects to just hang out. In the beginning, it did feel a little chaotic, but since the projects lasted longer than 1 meeting, it developed a nice rhythm. Even though everyone wasn't doing the exact same thing, there is still a sense of camaraderie in the room. Just a thought...

Juliette said...

Kelly, I can totally see that and I think that's what will tend to happen.

I also started thinking we should just pile up all our random supplies and let people have a go at it, but have a few sample project ideas in view for those who feel more 'creatively challenged'.

Thanks to both of you for helping me get the ball rolling!

Barb said...

After organizing a few craft nights at church it seems to me that you won't be able to plan something with everyone in mind. Plan something that you enjoyed and those who are interested will come with all different levels of experience, but all will enjoy doing something new. I agree with Kelly -- women just seem to love being together and creating something...anything!

Related Posts with Thumbnails