Thursday, February 17, 2011

Child's Drawstring Backpack

I know two little Irish girls who are about to join their 'mummy' on a crazy long trip to the other hemisphere with side trips to places like Abu Dhabi (anybody else remember that song?). When I went over to say farewell I took along two little drawstring backpacks filled with treats. There's something reassuring about having your own little bag of stuff when you travel, especially when it's just your size.

irish-collage-web

I grabbed the deets for this project over on Prudent Baby, but found their pattern a tad small. I ended up using their measurements for the 3yr old's bag, but decided to increase the 5yr old's bag to 16" x 32" with straps that were 1.5 yds long each. By the way, making these only took about 30 minutes per bag!

The verdict? Prudent Baby's measurements made a bag that just barely fits an average-sized three year old wearing a T-shirt (sweater/coat wouldn't work). My bigger version was great for the 5yr old and the straps were even a tad too long, but perfect if she had a sweater or coat on. Play around and see what works for you; it's easy to mess with since the length is just double the width. I also just used packaged bias tape sewn shut to make the straps, easy peasy. PB's tute has great photos and explanations, so no need to repeat all that here!

The girls were thrilled with what they've dubbed their 'holiday bags' and even asked their mother to "mind my holiday bag" when they went to play on the other side of their living room. I think we have a winner!

6 comments :

Allison said...

Super sweet... what a great gift! But there is some other fabric that I've been keeping my eyes open for ; )

Juliette said...

oooh, I know what you're talking about! =) That's my 'reward' fabric at this point: Once the LR pillows are done, I get to doll up my office with some of that stuff! (not to give away too many secrets, lol!)

Monica said...

Oh, these are so cute! Would this be doable for someone who has never worked a sewing machine?

Juliette said...

Monica- I think it's a good beginner project b/c all you do is sew straight lines.

The fabric is just a rectangle folded in half and sewn up the sides. Then you just fold over the top edges and sew shut to make a little sleeve for the strings to pass through, followed by two cuts on the bottom corners where you insert the strap ends and sew shut. Seriously, it's that easy!

Carolyn said...

so cute! I would have loved that too...heck, i love it now!

frauheuberg said...

oh so cute, Juliette...and so fine that you jump over to me...thanks for your sweet commment...yes, 101woonideeen has so many cool DIYprojects...so my weekend is saved...;)...have a lovley one, too...cheers and hugs...i...

Related Posts with Thumbnails